too much truth to swallow

just another insignificant VRWC Pajamahadeen

Monday, January 24, 2005

It's like watching a hamster blow up in a microwave, only this time you’re gleeful!

This hilarious gem (quicktime) is so good that the blogosphere’s PC-weenies are blowing a gasket. (note: you will have to click "View the VW ad" after arriving a the hyperlink.)

The miscreants include:



KelliPundit: “it is one of the most tasteless pieces of film, no doubt.”

Jewlicious: “Most tasteless ad ever?”

Jeremy Tai Abbert: “That tastless viral ad for the Volkswagen Polo…”


They hated it. Good! This shows who is supporting the mad dogs over the underdogs around here.

On the other hand mrbrown gets my price for brilliant tongue-in-cheek commentary:



And if you've watched it, you might want to know that RoSPA (The Royal Society for the Prevention of Accidents) is angry at this commercial. They noticed that the VW driver doesn't appear to be wearing a seat belt or any other form of safety harness, thus making him a unsuitable role model for impressionable British youth.
and we can’t tolerate “unsuitable role models” now, can we?

Note: you can install the plug-in necessary to view a Quicktime movie here.

Hat tip to Michelle Malkin

Postscript:

The title of the post was inspired by a title on the Industrial Waste blog. My bad.

Update:

KelliPundit responds with this comment:

John,
Just discovered that you have judged my entire distaste for terrorists because I did not exactly enjoy the VW Bomber commercial.

I will not defend my stance on terrorists since it is painfully obvious that you did not take any time at my site to find out what side I fight for. I guess it is just too easy to take my dislike for the commercial and judge everything about me. Could it be laziness?

Now to the commercial: Since you obviously valued my opinion...What bothered me about the commercial was seeing the mother holding the baby outside the cafe. As a mother of young boys, my stomach instantly churned at this site. Call it reflexive or whatever. But it was my gut feeling at the time I saw the video. I've also visited the Jewish websites that lists the victims of suicide bombers and have read the individual stories. It struck a raw nerve in me that did not make me laugh.

Having said that, I am open minded enough to see how many people see this commercial as funny. I don't ridicule those people or call them names. They are entitled to their gut feeling as well.

After finding your post I nearly just blew it off and did not respond, but I felt compelled to do so. Compare our side bar of links and they are not much different. Dude, we're on the same team. Let the other side chew on each other. I believe we are all entitled to our own gut reactions to different situations...Geez...I don't believe I pleaded for the feelings of terrorists anywhere.

My first thought was how hurtful this commercial would be to anyone who had lost a loved one or had survived such a horrific event. Ridicule me on those grounds
if you must.

KelliPundit



Hmmm... After looking at your site It is apparent that I was wrong and you are right. I was too careless to bother looking at your site and just jumped to the conclusion that your objection was motivated by misplaced sympathy—not revulsion at the material itself.

You deserve, and I giving you, a public apology.

That I'm in this position is all my fault. I would be here I had exercised due diligence.

Again, my humble apologies.

johnh